Saturday, June 28, 2014

Quick, Creative, and Easy- 1:1 Classroom Organization Tool

Last school year, our 6th grade teams were the first on campus to participate in the 1:1 program. Needless to say, it was a year of firsts that included many obstacles to overcome and TONS of success. Just like with everything else that goes on in your classroom that needs routines and procedures being 1:1 is not an exception.  I can remember at the beginning of several classes throughout the year constantly repeating, "After you fill out your agenda, take out your laptop and get ready to begin" or "Don't take your laptop out yet. We won't need it until later in the class".  I definitely needed a better way to communicate to my students about the use of laptops at the beginning of class, but it was just one of those things that got pushed to the back burner. 

I knew that I needed to figure something out before the new school year began, but honestly I still wasn't sure what it was going to look like. Thankfully, our new Master Teacher at our school shared an idea from a teacher at her old school. This teacher used a nonverbal color code system with students that let them know what laptop use would look like in class each day. As soon as I heard it, the wheels in my head started turning and I immediately began imagining what that would look like in my own classroom. So of course, I had to pay it forward and share this brilliant and simple idea with you!

Here's what you will need:

Scissors
Binder Ring
Velcro Dots or Strips
Hole Punch
Laminator (Optional-if you want to laminate your circles)


Step by Step Instructions:

After printing out the handouts, cut out your circles.

Use a hole punch to create a hole at the top of each circle. Be sure that your circle is located in the same spot on each circle.

I would recommend laminating your circles so that they are durable and will last the entire school year.

Cut the excess lamination off your circles. Use the hole punch again to open up your original hole at the top of the circles.

Use a binder clip to secure all of your circles.

Add your Velcro dots or strips to the back of each circle. If using Velcro dots, I would recommend using more than 1. I ended up putting three on the back of each circle.

Here's what the finished product will look like. I plan on installing this on the whiteboard in the front of my classroom.

This will easily allow students to know what computer use will look like at the beginning of class and save you from having to repeat the same instructions each class period.

It took me five minutes to complete this project from start to finish. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ones! I cannot wait to implement this into my classroom next school year and see how it goes. 

Until next time, happy crafting! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment